We’re a small company with amazing individuals and I wanted you to know – we’re a company with heart and we care.
I just finished reading an amazing book, Total Focus, that put so many priorities in perspective in my life and I felt like I needed to share this with my people. You’re my people.
Brandon Webb, the author, listed the main rules or values that he lives his life by and as it resonated with me and our business, here are the main ones:
1. Excellence Matters. As I get older, I really appreciate quality and getting it right the first time. Whether you’re talking about a top notch lunch bag or amazing people I choose to spend time with, you can go the lower quality route or shoot for the moon every time. I prefer to shoot for the moon. I appreciate this on many levels and also find choosing quality over ‘the lower-quality option’ a time (and money) saving exercise as I get it right the first time. I appreciate service (giving and receiving) and believe in pushing the envelope of superior service every time. Everyone matters and making a difference for each individual is a priority. Whenever possible in your life, go for excellence. This will become your new normal.
2. People First. We’re not robots. We’re human and are meant to interact and connect on many different levels. Make decisions based on the important people in your life whether that’s your family, friends, customers, staff or acquaintances. Treat your people – all your people – like family. Assume that everyone is doing their best and is inherently good. You don’t know what is going on under the surface so be kind. It will come back to you 10x even though this is not your intention.
3. Live with Honesty and Integrity. Is there any other way? I like sleeping at night knowing that I’m living and speaking my truth and don’t need to worry otherwise. When you’re true to yourself, life finds a magical flow of least-resistance. Things happen as they should and you can be more present and open. I tell my kids, it’s easier to remember the truth than a bunch of lies! Never say something about someone that you wouldn’t say to their face. This has proven helpful in so many cases and reduces gossip because it’s so unnecessary.
4. Giving Back. This can be a small gesture of buying someone who needs it a coffee or starting a larger charitable initiative in your business. Our fundraising program is a small way of helping us give back to the communities that support us and we’re always open to new ideas. We believe that all children deserve to learn about healthy eating and the power this gives them to take on the world full of energy. As parents we all end up volunteering across our networks to help out and make things better and easier for our kids. We’re role models and our kids see what we do and how we treat people. Remember that. Actions speak so much louder than words.
5. Surround Yourself with Good People. This is obvious, but not everyone follows this advice. You’re the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. Have you heard that one? Or show me your friends and I’ll show you your future? We pick up so much from those closest to us so don’t settle and demand quality from your people. It goes without saying that you also need to be a great friend and person for the average to increase. I don’t have anyone in my life that gives me negative energy as I don’t want to be around it. Life is so much better when it’s full of amazing people that inspire you to be a better version of you. Never stop learning and growing and shooting for the moon. If you miss, you’ll be in the stars!
Thanks for being ‘my people’ and let me know if I can ever assist. Please go for gold and make ‘excellence matter’ in your life! There’s no other way. 😉